This cake is a family favorite. Everybody in my family loves it. So, I am the baker in my family, I’m usually in charge of the treats for holidays, and birthdays. For the past six months we have had tons of birthdays, and holidays in my family, But we have all been eating healthy. (Most of us 🙂
At first I was struggling on what I could bake that was sugar free, and gluten free, but still taste like a regular cake. I’ve also always had this thought that healthy cake is never as good as regular cake. But then…I found this fantastic recipe.
This recipe is from Trim Healthy Mama. Now I’m sure you have heard me talk about Trim Healthy Mama in earlier posts. But thats because THM (trim healthy mama) is so incredible,
Since I found this cake it has been our favorite cake in our house. Everybody always requests it, and I’m happy to oblige. I realized that I can make recipes that are healthy, and yummy. So that has been my goal, so I will probably be posting more healthy recipes in the future. I have also started loving cake decorating. I recently got tons of cake decorating supplies for my birthday, and I am so excited to see what beauty I can create with cakes!
Lets talk ingredients for a second…
When I bake healthy, I believe to use quality ingredients. That’s why I think you should use organic/good eggs, and butter. Cause in my opinion…for what its worth, you can taste a difference if you use fresh ingredients.
In this recipe it calls for one can of pure pumpkin. Yes, Pumpkin. Now, that may seem weird, but you really can’t taste it!
Another thing is that the flour replacement in this recipe is Baking Blend. What is baking Blend? It’s a mix of oat fiber, blanched chopped almonds, coconut, and ground golden flax-seed. You can easily make your own baking Blend mix, or you can buy it with this link- trimhealthymama.com/product/gluten-free-baking-blend
If you wish to make it, here is a great recipe for it! https://www.wholesomerecipebox.com/thm-friendly-baking-blend-recipe/
In this recipe it also calls for a sweetener called gentle sweet. Gentle Sweet is a mix of Xylitol, and erythritol, and stevia. You can replace with just xylitol, or Swerve, or Truvia works too!
Note: I did adapt this recipe some, to make it what I believe is the best version of the cake.
Trimtastic Peppermint Cake
- For the Peppermint Cream Chocolate Trimtastic Cake:
- coconut oil cooking spray:
- 1-15 oz can pure pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup egg whites (carton or fresh)
- 1 cup THM Baking Blend
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 Tbsp butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 cup THM Gentle Sweet
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp mineral salt
- For the Peppermint Cream Frosting:
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup THM Gentle Sweet
- 1 tsp peppermint extract (plus an optional drop or 2 of peppermint essential oil)
- For the Optional Chocolate-Peppermint Topping:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil (melted; use flavorless kind if desired)
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tsp. Gentle Sweet
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease two eight inch round pans, I also like to place parchment paper on the bottom of the pans to have it not stick.
- Mix the pumpkin, eggs, egg whites, vanilla, and melted butter in a large bowl with a hand mixer, or a stand mixer. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Evenly pour the batter into the two pans, and cook for 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once partially cool take out of the pans carefully, and let finish cooling on parchment paper, or wax paper.
- To make the frosting mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, till light, and fluffy.
- Once cake has finished cooling, frost the cake as desired.
- To make the optional drizzle mix all the ingredients in all small bowl, then drizzle on cake.
- Cake most be refrigerated, or put outside if cool.
This recipe was adapted my Trim Healthy Mama
If you have any questions, or comments please let me know! And I would be glad to help!
Check out my other healthy posts!
Healthy Hot Cocoa
Healthy Motess Cupcakes